2015-16 Agency Accomplishments
- Moody’s Bond Rating changed from A2 to Aa2.
- Sullivan Community Center Expansion & Renovation – Began a $6 million dollar renovation and expansion in May, 2016.
- The Deerpath Park Master Plan was completed. It includes a new Kids’ Castle playground, tennis courts, ball field enhancements, and pathway and parking lot improvements.
- Former Opa Restaurant site was purchased in cooperation with the Village of Vernon Hills. An expansion of Century Park development is planned for late 2017.
- Government Finance Officer’s Association (GFOA) certificate was awarded for the 21st year in a row.
- Hawthorn Afterschool Program completed it’s first year with tremendous success!
The updated Parks & Recreation Master Plan was approved by the Board of Park Commissioners at its January Board meeting. The Master Plan addresses the needs of a growing community with limited resources and includes a comprehensive inventory of Park District properties and amenities, as well as recommendations for improvements (based on a comparative analysis of recreational and leisure amenities available to Vernon Hills residents as compared with similar communities and to national standards).
You may view a copy of the Vernon Hills Park District 2014-2018 Parks & Recreation Master Plan on this website by clicking the link below. In addition, you may review a copy in person at the Sullivan and Laschen Community Centers. Copies at the Community Centers may only be perused on site and cannot be checked out.
Click to open Vernon Hills Park District 2014-2018 Park and Recreation Master Plan
2015-2019 Strategic Plan
2015-2019 Strategic Plan
2015 Annual Report
2016 Strategic Report Card
All Park District programs, operations, capital improvements, and maintenance expenses are funded through a combination of revenue sources including property taxes, user fees & charges, grants, and donations. A budget is developed on an annual basis by the Superintendent of Finance and Executive Director, with input from staff, and is approved by the Park Board each year at the May Park Board Meeting.
The annual budget provides the expected revenue and expenses by program and service that the agency anticipates spending within its fiscal year, which runs from June 1 through May 31. In accordance with Illinois State Law, the budget is made conveniently available for inspection 30 days prior to the May Board meeting at the District’s administrative offices at 294 Evergreen Drive, the Sullivan Community Center at 635 N. Aspen Drive and at the Lakeview Fitness Center at 700 Lakeview Parkway. A budget hearing is held in early May to provide an opportunity for public comment prior to the Board voting on the passage of the budget. Notice of this public hearing is published in a local newspaper no less than 7 days before the hearing.
Current and Previous Budgets
2017-2018 Budget Draft
2016-2017 Fiscal year Budget
2015 – 2016 Fiscal Year Budget
2014 – 2015 Fiscal Year Budget
Full time Employees Total Compensation Package 2016
Comprehensive Annual Financial Plan
Fiscal 2016 CAFR
Fiscal 2015 CAFR
Fiscal 2014 CAFR
2016 CAFR Certificate of Achievement
2015 CAFR Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting
2014 CAFR Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting