District Planning & Finances
2018-19 Agency Accomplishments
- Adopted Capital Improvement Plan 2019-2023
- Adopted Master Plan 2019-2023
- The Century Park South Expansion Project will be completed in Summer, 2019.
- Construction commenced in May, 2019 on the Kindergarten Center. Completion is scheduled for Summer, 2020.
- Received a $50,000 Grant in cooperation with the Illinois Park & Recreation Association for a new playground in Garvanian Park.
- New playgrounds were constructed in Ranney Park and Donnelley Park.
- The sand play area at the Family Aquatic Center received new play structures in Spring, 2019.
- A long term agreement for the Solar Panel Project was authorized in February, 2019 with Trane Corporation. Solar panels will be installed on the Park Maintenance Facility roof in Summer, 2019.
- Government Finance Officer’s Association (GFOA) certificate was awarded for the 24th consecutive year.
The updated Parks & Recreation Master Plan was approved by the Board of Park Commissioners at its January Board meeting. The Master Plan addresses the needs of a growing community with limited resources and includes a comprehensive inventory of Park District properties and amenities, as well as recommendations for improvements (based on a comparative analysis of recreational and leisure amenities available to Vernon Hills residents as compared with similar communities and to national standards).
You may view a copy of the Vernon Hills Park District 2019-2023 Parks Master Plan on this website by clicking the link below. In addition, you may review a copy in person at the Sullivan Community Center.
Capital Improvement Plan
2020-2024 Strategic Plan
2019 Community Survey Results
All Park District programs, operations, capital improvements, and maintenance expenses are funded through a combination of revenue sources including property taxes, user fees & charges, grants, and donations. A budget is developed on an annual basis by the Superintendent of Finance & HR and the Executive Director, with input from staff, and is approved by the Park Board each year at the May, Park Board Meeting.
The annual budget provides the expected revenue and expenses by program and service that the agency anticipates spending within its fiscal year, which runs from June 1 through May 31. In accordance with Illinois State Law, the budget is made conveniently available for inspection 30 days prior to the May Board meeting at the District’s administrative office at the Sullivan Community Center at 635 N. Aspen Drive. A budget hearing is held in early May to provide an opportunity for public comment prior to the Board voting on the passage of the budget. Notice of this public hearing is published in a local newspaper no less than 7 days before the hearing.
Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR)
As required by Illinois Park District law, each year an independent agency is hired to audit the Park District’s financial statements and operating funds. The audit is a comprehensive financial analysis of the Park District’s operations and procedures when it comes to handling public finances.
Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting
The Vernon Hills Park District has received the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting from the Government Finance Officers Association. This national award has been received for over 20 years.
2017 CAFR Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting
2016 CAFR Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting
2015 CAFR Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting
The Prevailing Wage Act requires contractors and subcontractors to pay laborers, workers and mechanics employed on public works construction projects no less than the general prevailing rate of wages (consisting of hourly cash wages plus fringe benefits) for work of a similar character in the county where the work is performed.